Masonry Construction Technology
Masonry Construction Technology provides the opportunity to develop the skills of a proficient mason, from the simple spreading of mortar to the complex construction of an inside fireplace. These skills are developed by practice projects, which are preceded by theory lectures and demonstrations. Faculty members show films on various aspects of the trade, and students take field trips to learn about the manufacture of masonry products.
Since a large part of masonry work is decorative as well as functional, special emphasis is placed on appreciation of the beauty and permanence of brickwork and on the development of pride in good workmanship.
Students find employment in the field as masons, and with experience, as forepersons or superintendents. Many masons are self-employed.
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
- Operate masonry tools and equipment safely and effectively.
- Use masonry terminology.
- Read blueprints to estimate materials quantity and pricing.
布局and construct footings and build a block foundation.
- 应用 brick veneering to a structure.
- Construct a masonry arch.
布局and set ceramic tile.
- Construct an inside fireplace and chimney.
- Repair older masonry structures.
- Organize personnel and materials at a construction site.
- Provide all masonry options in current residential construction.